Re: timing model of the media resource in HTML5

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:27:06 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:02 PM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:43:39 +0100, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com
>> > wrote:

>>>   Thanks, that makes sense.
>>>
>>>   I think <overlay> should be used for internal subtitle and/or closed
>>> caption tracks as well. Further, I think that we will want them to
>>> "just work" so a UA should create an <overlay> element if the markup
>>> doesn't have one and it finds that a file has internal
>>> captions/subtitles:
>>>
>>>     <video src='my-captioned-movie'> </video>
>>>

>> Yes, that sounds good. One issue is how to style such an implicit
>> <overlay>. Should one actually include an <overlay> in the markup and
>> somehow indicate that it can/should be used to render in-band subtitles
>> from the resource?
>>
>> <video src="my-captioned-movie">
>>  <caption style="font-weight:bold" magic-attribute></caption>
>> </video>
>>
>> Not awesome. Perhaps a new CSS pseudo-selector could be used? Other
>> ideas?
>
> Can we come up with a name for the <overlay> element that sounds less
> presentational? I think the fact that the element sounds purely
> presentational may come up as an issue when this proposal is taken back
> to the full Working Group.
>
> (Also, the name "overlay" implies that this is the only way to add an
> overlay to video content, but in fact any content can be positioned over
> the video and will composite properly. So it doesn't even really have
> the presentational function that its name implies.)

It would be the only way to make an overlay that the browser understands
so that it can e.g. display it in fullscreen and make sure that it doesn't
interfere with native controls. I still wouldn't mind a better name though.

It can be used for any timed content including subtitles, optional
animated mustaches for all the actors and popups with information about a
particular object in the scene. It is completely void of semantic meaning
except the fact that the content probably changes over time (except for
scripted controls).

<animation>? <timeranges>? <timedcontent>? <rangelist>?

Or perhaps the concept is purely presentational and should be done using
CSS instead?

<video src="foo">
</video>

But then we still need an element for captions/subtitles (in-band or
external).

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer