Re: GRDDL Profiles in Microformat creators

Indeed, this is sort of a problem from a deployment standpoint. It would
be great if one of the results of deploying GRDDL was that most deployed
microformat data was usable as RDF data.  It is not so great if we have
to convince, one by one, every purveyor of microformat data to use
profile URIs. It can be done but it's a lot of work.

How do applications like Tails license the use of microformats? Simply
by looking for the use of certain rel and class values like div="vcard".
So, according to microformats applications, the use of div="vcard" is
the precise *license* of the microformat, just as the use of a profile
URI is a *license* for the use of GRDDL. This causes microformats to
lose the ability of self-description and being grounded in URI-space,
and so unable to use the "follow-your-nose" principle of good Web
architecture that GRDDL takes advantage of.

However, if that is how people are using them on the ground, is there
anyway that GRDDL can be made comaptible with that sort of non-URI
grounded data?  It seems to stick to good Web arch principles the answer
is "no," since hard-coding into any GRDDL-aware client the use of a
certain transformation to map with the use of class/div elements in HTML
is just wrong.

Without the chair's hat on I'd like to offer a suggestion that lets us
GRDDL-enable microformat data that does not have a profile URI without
completely sacrificing our principles. If we stick to our guns on using
profile URIs then at the current moment  virtually no microformat data
will be GRDDL-enabled.

 One could imagine the low-road, where a GRDDL-aware agent encounters no
profile URI but encouters the use of a vcard attribute for rel, and so
as a back-up manuever knows that using a vcard attribute in a rel makes
the page hCard, and so it gets the hCard transformation from a local
cache and applies it. Again, the issue is that the profile URI not being
there - but one could imagine setting the profile URI for microformats
in the "local policy".

While allowing one's local policy to say "if you encounter this
microformat X without a profile URI then apply transformation from
profile URI Y (that may be in a cache)" should be of course officially
discouraged, if we leave some wiggle-room for that sort of local policy
in the spec/test-cases, it would leave us some actual credence to say
"Well, really if you look at it with GRDDL-aware lenses, all the
microformat data is SemWeb data..."

What do people think? Since local-policy is pretty underspecified right
now, I think it wouldn't be a major modification but would have huge
practical effects - i.e. letting GRDDL-aware RDF applications use
microformat data as is.

--
		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh