Re: grddlonrdf tests

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:
> The short description of this tests says "/An implementation only has to
> produce one of these three/."
> (1) that's not true, i.e. can't be justified from the spec. producing none is
> consistent with the spec.

Hmm.. that's not my understanding and is the very reason why I was
concerned about this particular scenario in our last telecon: i.e., how
can a piece of software which doesn't produce any GRDDL results ( when
there should be at least one ) be considered a GRDDL-aware-agent by the current definition?

Barring an explicit choice to ignore a nominated transform due to " the
agent's capabilities, local security policies and possibly user/client
intervention." it would *not* be a GRDDL-aware agent.  That's my
interpretation of section 7.

> (2) "an implementation" isn't a term we've defined; "GRDDL-aware agent" is
> the conformance label
> (3) let's please not refer to implementations from the test descriptions at
> all. The tests are there
> primarily to clarify the language design. They are also intended to help
> developers develop interoperable
> code, but I'd rather leave that out of the test descriptions altogether.
>
> Also, re "there are /three distinct and equally valid output graphs for this
> test/ for this document"
> (1) "equally valid" is a little tricky to justify from the spec, given the
> SHOULD stuff we recently
> put in there re GRDDL-aware agents.

Well if equally valid means they are 'GRDDL results', it is pretty clear
since we describe the only means by which GRDDL results can be computed.
The SHOULD stuff in section 7 allows the agent to make determinations as
to which transform to apply, with the possible consequence (evil,
untested hook?) of causing it to no longer be a compliant GRDDL-aware agent if such determinations
result in not applying *any* transformations.

Chimezie Ogbuji
Lead Systems Analyst
Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic Foundation