Re: Best way to embed Semantic Data

Simone,
    Good questions!

    Without chair's hat on, I'd say the problem with microformats is
when you want to combine lots of them they can be ill-defined, and also
sometimes you want to express semantic data (say, data about rare
birds!) that there isn't a microformat for. However, since there is so
much microformat data out there, and it is *easy* to use and has a
user-community, it makes sense to use microformats when the data you
want to express maps to microformats, and use GRDDL to get RDF out.

    However, if you want something you can deploy now that can express
any semantic metadata in RDF, the way to go is Embedded RDF. It has a
few minor limitations (No XML Schema datatypes) but works out the box
with a GRDDL client to extract RDF.

    RDFa does a lot of things Embedded RDF does, but (correct me if I'm
wrong here BenA and IanD), but likely will be a full-fledged first-class
citizen RDF syntax with Schema data-types, etc. However, it's still in
the works, so I'd keep it on the radar for future projects.

             -harry

--
  -harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh