Re: delivering test cases

From: Angel Machín <angel.machin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:05:54 +0100
To: Doug Turner <doug.turner@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrei Popescu <andreip@google.com>, Matt Womer <mdw@w3.org>, "public-geolocation@w3.org" <public-geolocation@w3.org>
Hi Doug, Andrei,

What follows is a repost about the format of tests .....

Regarding the format... I have found this interesting document
proposing the format and the way of performing the whole testing
process:
http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/2005/01/test-faq

>From this document.... a good test is:

  - Mappable to the specification (you must know what portion of the
specification it tests)
  - Atomic (tests a single feature rather than multiple features)
  - Self-documenting (explains what it is testing and what output it expects)
  - Focused on the technology under test rather than on ancillary technologies
  - Correct

According to this guidelines, I think the optimal format could be a
HTML+JavaScript file containing a single test case. This web page
should contain an explanation of what is being tested and the expected
output of the JS code when executed within the browser.

There are a lot of complete test suites from other W3C specs that can
be checked, SVG tests could be a good example of what we could
deliver:
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/repository/testsuite/1.1/htmlEmbedHarness/

So, I think it is worth defining a common format and a single
repository for these tests,
do you agree? any opinion about this?

Cheers,
Angel