Re: XForms?

aloha, nathan!

there is a 6 person "Joint Forms Task Force" comprised of 3
representatives from the HTML WG (http://www.w3.org/html/wg/)

  * Anne van Kesteren
  * Gregory J. Rosmaita
  * Maciej Stachowiak

and 3 from the Forms WG (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/)

  * Mark Birbeck
  * Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer
  * Nick Van den Bleeken

the joint forms task force has a (rudimentary) web presence at:

http://www.w3.org/2007/10/forms-tf/

our proposed charter can be found at:

http://www.w3.org/2007/10/forms-tf/charter-proposal

the joint forms task force conducts business on a publically archived
mailing list, public-forms-tf@w3.org, which is archived at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms-tf/

the joint task force's task is defining a consistent forms architecture,
using, as a basis, both the work of the Forms WG (XForms) and the Web
Forms 2.0 submission from the WHAT WG:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms/
http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/
http://www.w3.org/TR/web-forms-2/

the goal of the forms task force is to develop a set of guidelines for
architectural consistency in forms technologies... the primary (proposed)
deliverable of the task force will be a W3C Note -- published jointly
by the Forms and HTML working groups, with the consensus of the members
of those groups -- which will outline guidelines for achieving
architectural consistency in forms technologies; the HTML and Forms WGs
will then evaluate their future specifications against these guidelines
and report back to the joint task force which will incorporate their
feedback into a final version of the W3C Note.  the (proposed) timeline
for this activity is completion by july 2008

the joint task force is currently scheduling a teleconference time for
the 6 participants, and hope to hold at least one teleconference before
the W3C's Technical Plenary (5-10 November 2007), where -- it is hoped
-- we will be able to present our respective working groups with a
a proposed charter and scoping document for review...

i hope that addresses the "what's happening with XForms and HTML5"
question -- any ideas, suggestions, criticism, and additions are
welcome (which is one of the reasons why we conduct our work in
public)

you can monitor the list, and receive a status report on the joint
task force at each HTML WG teleconference

thanks in advance for any contributions, and if any of my fellow
joint task force members have a differing opinion of our work than
i expressed here, PLEASE let public-forms-tf@w3.org know!

gregory.
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of
focus.                                           -- Mark Twain
Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus@hicom.net
   Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
          Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus