RE: Conclusion to effects of readonly on trigger

I agree with this email.

Esp. I agree that my 2b was vague.  By saying the countenance of the
trigger is unaffected by readonly, I meant what you said, which is that
XForms does not define anything that connects readonly vs. readwrite to a
particular presentational appearance.

It's feasible that readonly triggers could be styled as if disabled, but
nothing we say or produce, normatively or informatively, creates that
effect as "the default styling".

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

"Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
05/02/2007 01:53 PM

John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA, <public-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Conclusion to effects of readonly on trigger

John,
Here's my opinions on this summary:

I think the key thing we came up with was that, unlike the recent notice
that disabled form controls don't receive events, we are *not* going to
say that about trigger bound to readonly node. That appears to be point 1.
 We also decided that readonly has no effect on trigger's behavior in
other unspecified ways, so that's point 2a.

As for point 2b, Im not sure a "countenance".  If it means style, and the
host language supports some styling mechanism such as CSS, an author (or
user agent default) can certainly style it however desired.  Our
informative CSS3 style sheet does show anything for xf|trigger:readonly
but I don't see how we can proscribe it.  (I think Mark Birbeck made the
argument that we should avoid saying anything about presentation here, but
maybe I'm confused.)

I'd be happier to see these two responses split up:
- Put (1) and (2a) in the spec document as an inforamative note.
- The body of (2) remains where it is (the minutes, this discussion) but
not in the spec document.
- Change 2b to an email response and say we aren't putting anything in our
informative CSS style sheet section for xf|trigger:readonly.

I suspect that some implementations might use XBL or some other
customization mechanism to take advantage of the readonly MIP or the
:disabled CSS pseudo-property to affect behavior, and again, while we
might think it's unclean to do so, we can't really prohibit it; at the
same time, we have recognized the request already for extensible MIPs for
use in styling and XBL binding, so I don't think we need to act further on
this for XForms 1.1.  In other words, those who have XBL or their own
extension mechanism are allowed to warp trigger:disabled behavior and
style, but should know that it's not the path going forward, and they
probably want to pay attention XForms futures for extensible MIPs.

How does this all sound?
Leigh.