Re: users vs topics

On 27 July 2012 14:05, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Antonio Tapiador del Dujo
> <atapiador@dit.upm.es> wrote:
> > Hi Michiel, I agree that is better to start with something useful,
> specially
> > if you are the one who is actually working on it :-)
> >
> > But, at least for the record, a couple elements I am missing:
> >
> > * contact or friend list
>
> yes i agree, got that mostly working already actually. The formats i
> support for this so far are PoCo and foaf.
>
> For now i only support 'following', not 'followers', because to
> authoratively announce who your followers are you would need to
> present signed statements from them, and that's a bit complicated (and
> also i'm not aware of anybody actually doing this). Having said that,
> once we have a bit of data indexed, we could draw the graph, and link
> back, so that the search engine could display for each search result
> not only who they follow, but also a subset of who publicly follow
> them. And of course, you could see the degrees-of-separation between
> yourself and each search result row, and prioritize results based on
> that.
>
> > * content sets, such as pictures, blog posts, etc.
>
> good point. thanks!

as kingsley points out this is all covered by linked data

i keep saying use URIs to describe things, it's not an advanced idea, it's
web 101 ... but seems to be falling on deaf ears

so much is being reinvented from the last 10 / 20 or even 40 years here,
how is going to be possible to maintain everything

it seems unhosted is currently mainly fascinated by web 2.0 compliant
buzzwords

in case you havent noticed theyve been dropping like flies
oauth2 - fail
webfinger - fail
activity streams - fail

imho, unhosted needs to make a strategic change 1) use uris to name things
2) use linked data 3) dont reinvent too much and focus on a small standard
that can be done well

distributed programming is very hard, and unhosted has come a long way, in
the next year it needs to focus on getting the foundations rock solid, to
super charging intself into the stratosphere