Re: users vs topics

On 30 July 2012 11:35, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 July 2012 14:05, Michiel de Jong <michiel@unhosted.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Antonio Tapiador del Dujo
>> <atapiador@dit.upm.es> wrote:
>> > Hi Michiel, I agree that is better to start with something useful,
>> specially
>> > if you are the one who is actually working on it :-)
>> >
>> > But, at least for the record, a couple elements I am missing:
>> >
>> > * contact or friend list
>>
>> yes i agree, got that mostly working already actually. The formats i
>> support for this so far are PoCo and foaf.
>>
>> For now i only support 'following', not 'followers', because to
>> authoratively announce who your followers are you would need to
>> present signed statements from them, and that's a bit complicated (and
>> also i'm not aware of anybody actually doing this). Having said that,
>> once we have a bit of data indexed, we could draw the graph, and link
>> back, so that the search engine could display for each search result
>> not only who they follow, but also a subset of who publicly follow
>> them. And of course, you could see the degrees-of-separation between
>> yourself and each search result row, and prioritize results based on
>> that.
>>
>> > * content sets, such as pictures, blog posts, etc.
>>
>> good point. thanks!
>>

> as kingsley points out this is all covered by linked data
>
> i keep saying use URIs to describe things, it's not an advanced idea, it's
> web 101 ... but seems to be falling on deaf ears
>
> so much is being reinvented from the last 10 / 20 or even 40 years here,
> how is going to be possible to maintain everything
>
> it seems unhosted is currently mainly fascinated by web 2.0 compliant
> buzzwords
>
> in case you havent noticed theyve been dropping like flies
> oauth2 - fail
> webfinger - fail
> activity streams - fail
>
> imho, unhosted needs to make a strategic change 1) use uris to name things
> 2) use linked data 3) dont reinvent too much and focus on a small standard
> that can be done well
>
> distributed programming is very hard, and unhosted has come a long way, in
> the next year it needs to focus on getting the foundations rock solid, to
> super charging intself into the stratosphere

discussed this with michiel off-list ... the comments above were supposed
to be related to unhosted, not FSW in general

main point i wanted to make was to encourage the use linked data practices

i dont consider oauth2 to have failed, but the main author did come out and
make that comment this week

apologies for posting to FSW list, i kind of got mixed up between some of
the threads here and on uhosted

will tone things down a bit too :) </rant>