Re: skos:prefLabel without language tag

Hi,

> This definitely either is or isn't an issue :-)

+1. My only point is that an extra line of documentation would clarify the situation much better, rather than counting on the reader to go through what we are doing now, to find out whether given data are consistent or not ;-)

>The plain literal spec seems to treat the absence of a value for language tag as having the empty string as the language tag (rather than signalling an error). Since there doesn't seem to be a function to test for the presence or absence of a language tag, and since this behavior is consistent with xml:lang in RDF, this probably either isn't an issue, or is an issue for clarification below the SKOS level (probably in the rdf-plain-literal specification?)
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-__plain-literal <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-plain-literal/#The_Comparison_of_rdf:PlainLiteral_Data_Values>
>

>             5.1.3 plfn:lang-from-PlainLiteral

In the same doc, they have:
"
[plfn:compare, the function comparing two literals $comparand1 and $comparand2] returns the empty sequence if one of the arguments is empty, if one of $comparand1 and $comparand2 has a language tag and the other one does not, or if the language parts of $comparand1 and $comparand2 are unequal.
"

The "if one of $comparand1 and $comparand2 has a language tag and the other one does not", as I understand it, would say that ["A"] is different from ["A"@] .

Elaborating on my point below, to answer Johan's comment, the RDF abstract syntax may in general NOT conflate "absence of tag" with "empty tagging". Even if some of the parsing rules for one concrete syntax (RDF/XML, in Johan's case) do make transformation that transform tag-less literals into literals with empty tags (or the opposite)

At the beginning I was thinking of not escalating that to the RDF group, but it seems their own spec could be made clearer...

Antoine