Re: AW: How to distinguish unique and non-unique prefLabels?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:03:11AM +0100, Antoine Isaac wrote:
> I like the semantic overflow functions, but I'm skeptical about having another place for hosting SKOS-related developments and questions. We already have this list, and the wiki, which have the benefit of being hosted by W3C--does anyone know who is hosting semantic overflow?
>
> Note that for a thing like an "informal SKOS extension" it's important to have community feedback in the design, but you don't need really votes on the proposal itself: people would vote with their data, using the extension if they find it convenient! Continuous "data testimonials" aggregated on say, the wiki page describing the proposal, would be more useful than one-time "votes".

What you really need, I think, is some way for anyone coming to the site
to see at a glance how much consensus/support there is for a particular
design pattern or extension. I originally thought an ability to comment on
a pattern or extension, where the comment is for/against/neutral, would
be a good solution, but I don't know of an existing site that supports
this. semanticoverflow goes half-way with a simple vote up or down, so I
thought it might be better than nothing, but Jakob's comments are valid.

If you had some way to capture what published datasets were using what
extensions, then that would be a great way to guage consensus, although you'd
probably need to automate that or it might not get well maintained. Also, that
might not work for design patterns, because it would be harder to automate.

Very open to ideas.

Cheers

Alistair
--