Re: AW: How to distinguish unique and non-unique prefLabels?

Hi Alistair,  Jakob,

>> Hi Alistair,
>>
>> you wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still conscious that there isn't a really good way to find out about what
>>> extensions and design patterns have been proposed and discussed within this
>>> community, and that makes it harder to build consensus and avoid re-inventing
>>> the wheel. The wiki could work, but takes some editorial work to keep updated,
>>> and it's hard to guage consensus. I've been thinking recently that a website
>>> that works a bit like stack overflow, but where you can post a design pattern
>>> or extension to SKOS and have others vote for/against and comment, would be
>>> a lovely tool ... anyone feel like making it happen? :)
>>
>> Then why not directly use http://www.semanticoverflow.com/? It is
>> already used to ask and discuss about SKOS:
>> http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/tagged/skos
>>
>> Further you can mark some questions as "community wiki", which all
>> can edit. Sure there are also arguments for yet another self-managed
>> site, but I am not the one who wants to maintain it ;-)
>>
>> I only asked at this list, because I think that the main SKOS
>> community lurks around here instead of watching
>> http://www.semanticoverflow.com/feeds/tag/skos
>
> First I've heard of semanticoverflow! I see 22 questions there on SKOS,
> guess we better get answering :)
>
> I wonder if the site would work as well for proposals, i.e., for proposing
> a design pattern or extension to SKOS? The proposals would get mixed up
> with the questions, so it might look a bit messy, but it's better than
> nothing. Any thoughts?

I like the semantic overflow functions, but I'm skeptical about having another place for hosting SKOS-related developments and questions. We already have this list, and the wiki, which have the benefit of being hosted by W3C--does anyone know who is hosting semantic overflow?

Note that for a thing like an "informal SKOS extension" it's important to have community feedback in the design, but you don't need really votes on the proposal itself: people would vote with their data, using the extension if they find it convenient! Continuous "data testimonials" aggregated on say, the wiki page describing the proposal, would be more useful than one-time "votes".

Cheers,

Antoine