SKOS Community Extensions (was Re: Ordering concepts in a Tree display // Where could we place proposed additions to SKOS?)

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 09:14:48AM +0100, Christophe Dupriez wrote:
> As we cannot mix skos:existingProperty with skos:desiredProperty:
> * Who could manage a namespace for properties that the community is
> putting under scrutiny and that one or the other may want to
> implement?
> * Where the resulting "additions" RDFS file could be deposited?

I know many folks have been thinking about how to support this kind of
community-managed namespace, so if anyone has any good ideas then please
feel free to make a suggestion.

The obvious option is that each person uses their own namespace and
publishes their own vocabulary, and we use something like the SKOS wiki or
semanticoverflow.com to keep track of all of these micro-vocabularies.

Not mutually exclusive, it would also be nice if we had some tool that
everyone could use to manage a single "SKOS Community Extensions" namespace,
which would lower the entry barrier for folks wanting to propose or play
with a SKOS extension.

The obvious question is, what tool/site could we use to manage the community
extensions namespace?

The only one I could think of was the open metadata registry
- metadataregistry.org. I had a go at registering myself as
a user, then created a new "element set" (means RDF schema)
- http://metadataregistry.org/uri/schema/skos-cx - if you look in the
Elements tab, I created a single property extending skosxl:labelRelation,
just as an example.

If anyone wants to have a go at editing this schema, register yourself at
metadataregistry.org, then send me an email and I'll add you as a maintainer.

There may be better options, anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Alistair

--
Alistair Miles