RE: subject indicators ... ?

For example:

http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/schemasstandards/gcl.asp?term=542

could be used as a reasonable 'indicator' for the GCL concept it describes
(as yet without official URI), or:

http://www.getty.edu/vow/AATFullDisplay?find=&logic=AND&note=&subjectid=3001
92802

could be used as a reasonable 'indicator' for the AAT concept it describes
(also as yet without official URI that I know of).

> What could an "indicator" be if it pointed to a web resource
> but was not
> a URI? I thought that a URI was a general name for something that
> pointed to a web resource.

Contrast URI (Universal Resource *Identifier*) and URL (Universal Resource
*Locator*).

So you could use the URI:

info:blah-blah.com/scheme/concept#flibbertyjibbert

... as the identifier for a concept, and additionally you could state e.g.:

<rdf:Description
rdf:about="info:blah-blah.com/scheme/concept#flibbertyjibbert">
  <skos:indicator
rdf:resource="http://somewhere.org/blahscheme/flibbertyjibbert.html"/>
</rdf:Description>

... which would tell you e.g. what to plug into your browser if you want to
find out what the concept means.

(Apologies for silly example, it's getting late in the day :)

> I'm not sure what you mean by "content-negotiable".

Content-negotiable means that the content-type of what you get back from a
web server when you request a URL depends on what content-type you asked
for.

So say for example that the URL

http://somewhere.org/blahscheme/flibbertyjibbert

points to a content-negotiable resource.  That means if an HTTP client (such
as a web browser) requests content-type="text/html" as part of the HTTP GET
request, the web server returns an html representation of that resource.
Alternatively if an HTTP client requests content-type="application/rdf+xml"
the web server returns an RDF/XML representation of that resource.

Also I wasn't talking about identifying concepts in relation to *someone
elses* indicators, although this would be a possibility [with the
implication that (?x skos:indicator ?i) (?y skos:indicator ?i) -> (?x
skos-map:exactMatch ?y)].

An alternative to 'skos:indicator' might be something like
'skos:resolvableRepresentation' (clumsy I know but just trying to get the
idea across) or even 'foaf:homepage'.

Al.

---
Alistair Miles