What is a concept?

:)

Defined in SKOS-Core 1.0 Guide as 'any unit of thought that may be defined
or described.'  Might better be described as a 'unit of meaning' or
something like that.

In contrast to e.g. traditional thesauri, where the fundamental unit is
usually a 'term', and hence where the intended meaning of the unit and the
labels used to refer to it are confounded.

NB. I never use the word 'term' any more, because when somebody in this line
of work refers to a 'term' I've realised they usually have some idea of
meaning attached to it (which may be a specially redefined meaning known
only within a limited scope).  I.e. the meaning and the label have not been
separated.  Hence I deliberately avoid using the word 'term' anywhere in the
SKOS-Core 1.0 guide, but always use 'label' as a name for the character
strings or symbols that are used by people to refer to concepts.

In my mind, 'term' = 'concept' + 'label'.

Al.

P.s. if you think about this too much, you end up spiralling into
non-existence.

---
Alistair Miles
Research Associate