RE: What is a concept?

The following statement (basically a re-iteration of what you said Stella)
is how I see things, and my starting point for design in SKOS:

'The complete intension of a concept should be inferred from the preferred
label, the non-preferred labels, any scope notes or definitions, and
relationships to neighbouring concepts.'

[which is essentially the same as ... (from Stella)]
> "concept = preferred term + any non-preferred terms + any scope note +
> any clues given by relationships to broader terms and others"

The reason I replace 'term' with 'label' is because of the way I have heard
'term' used in the thesaurus world.  In my experience, when someone refers
to a 'term' sometimes they are  pointing to a concept, and sometimes they
are point to a string of characters.

Actually if you look at Stella's equation, it illustrates my point.  In the
first part 'term' is used to refer to the character strings (concept =
preferred term + any non-preferred terms ...) but in the second part it is
used as a proxy for concepts (concept = ... relationships to broader terms
...).  I would argue that 'broader' is a relationship of meaning, and
therefore a relationship between concepts, never between strings of
characters.

When I use the word 'label' I am pointing to a string of characters or a
symbol.  When I use the word 'concept' I am point to some idea in my head.
I find that not using the word 'term' helps to keep this distinction clear.

Al.