W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-eo-plan@w3.org > October to December 2018

For EOWG Review -- Re: Translations status & upcoming work

From: Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:36:11 -0600
To: "public-eo-plan@w3.org" <public-eo-plan@w3.org>
Message-ID: <0eaa883d-4147-d3fe-8bc0-ca19be2931f9@w3.org>
Hi Brent & Sharron,

Since we didn't get to the "translations update" agenda item yesterday, here's an update in e-mail.

We didn't prototype the previous proposal because it didn't have sufficient support.

After working through differing perspectives from W3C Team (including i18n) and EOWG contributors, I think we've come up with a solution that will effectively meet user needs and sufficiently address other issues. It's written up with a static mockup at:
	https://www.w3.org/wiki/WAI_Translations#4_Dec_proposal

I would like to get an OK from interested parties on the location of the lists & links asap so we can continue from prototype to development. (We could tweak the wording of things like "this page" later.) I'm waiting for an OK from one more W3C staff, which should come tonight. Then I would like to offer it to EOWG to review.

The timing challenge is that I'd prefer not to wait until next week, yet I won't know until tonight if we've got the OKs so it makes sense to take it to EOWG. Some options:
* Add it to the agenda for tomorrow with something like "(if ready)"
* Don't add to tomorrow's agenda. When it's ready, add it to Work for This Week and send e-mail to EOWG list.
I'm fine with whatever y'all think it best. Feel free to ping me in IRC or call if you want to discuss.

---

Next things will be process for submitting translations, reviewing, handling updates, etc.. I'll let you know when that is sufficient thought through that it makes sense for EOWG to look at.

Best,
~Shawn








On 11/30/2018 12:13 PM, Shawn Henry wrote:
> Hi Sharron & Brent,
> 
> Ref: https://www.w3.org/wiki/WAI_Translations
> 
> Below is to record what we discussed in the Wednesday EO-Plan meeting, along with some additional info for your consideration.
> 
> * Translations UI proposal from 7 November had show-stopper issues (that came in on 19 November).
> * We came up with different proposal and options - written. Initial feedback showed confusion. Need to provide a mock-up in order for people to effectively review the proposal.
> * Hope to have that mock-up early in December.
> * Would like to finalize UI asap to get it going before Eric is off...
Received on Thursday, 6 December 2018 19:36:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:44:04 UTC