Re: [dxwg] Create a use case and requirement for "central" authoritative validation rules (#597)

From: Karen Coyle via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 23:36:38 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
To me this is more than a role issue in the sense that roles are being used in PROF; it is inherently an issue with the model of PROF. It has to do with whether there is any way to measure "correctness" between separate expressions of the profile. As I explain above, if I have a set of documents that could potentially harbor contradictions between them I have no way to establishing correctness if they are all of equal "truth". To me this is an inherent flaw in establishing a set of things to represent what is essentially designed to be a standard, rather than a dominant "true" thing with auxiliary items that can be measured against the standard. (This is analogous to the W3C practice of having only one version of a document considered the "true" document, usually the English-language one, and all others are considered non-standard.)

I'm not sure this can be a feature at risk because it speaks to the underlying model not a feature based on the model. If it can be shown that the current underlying model could support this, then I suppose it could be a feature at risk. As it is, I do not see that PROF supports a profile as a standard.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/597#issuecomment-527680278 using your GitHub account