Re: [dxwg] Alignment / differentiation with OWL (#696)

From: aisaac via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2019 13:26:58 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
I disagree with closing this issue.

There is a section in the current draft, but it does not mention `prof:isProfileOf` (contrasting it with `owl:imports`) as requested in the issue description. (for the record I think we could say that owl:import is a sub-property of `prof:isProfileOf`, but maybe more discussion is needed).

I also disagree with the content of the section: especially the paragraph on owl:imports that leads to the conclusion "It is not possbile [note typo here!], with owl:imports, or any other OWL ontology property, to know that data conforming to an ontology also conforms to another ontology.". Having an statement `X owl:imports Y` means that every class, property and axiom accessible in the ontology (document) Y is included in X. If X contains all axioms of Y, this means that any data conforming to X will automatically conform to Y (since the import does not 'de-activate' specific axioms/constraints of the imported ontologies).

Finally the section does not mention [OWL Profiles](https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-overview/#Profiles) and I think anyone knowing OWL and seeing a section on OWL in a document about profiles will be quite badly surprised if they don't see OWL Profiles being discussed.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/696#issuecomment-527457870 using your GitHub account