[dxwg] Range of dct:type (#1009)

From: Chris Wood via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:11:04 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
wood-chris has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/dxwg:

== Range of dct:type ==
In DCAT v2, the property`dct:type` in the class of `dcat:Resource` has range of `rdfs:Class`, with a usage note of:

> The value SHOULD be taken from a well governed and broadly recognised controlled vocabulary, such as:
DCMI Type vocabulary [DCTERMS]
[...]

I've got 2 questions about this

1. I see that all classes listed in DCMI Type are of type `rdfs:Class`, as I'd expect, but I don't see how any of the 12 classes given can be used to describe the _nature or genre_ of a dataset in a way that the `dct:theme` property can't? (i.e. what was/is the rationale? what should be described using `dct:property` that can't be described with `dct:theme`?)
2. what properties can be applied to instances of DCMI Terms? Is the _controlled vocabulary_ just the list of the 12 classes? Or is there a richer set of terms somewhere that I haven't yet found?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1009 using your GitHub account