Re: [dxwg] Clarify definition of dct:accrualPeriodicity in the context of DCAT (#728)

From: Simon Cox via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 00:22:26 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
The concern applies primarily to datasets that are time-series, which might be issued on a different schedule to the rate of addition of data to the dataset. For example, a dataset showing rainfall at 5-minute intervals might be formally published and registered just once a day.

The DCAT definition appears to specify the latter, while the DCMI definition encompasses both. I think we need to either

- make this explicit - add a usage note "In this context the use of `dct:accrualPeriodicity` concerns the rate at which the dataset as-a-whole is published, which is a narrower usage than permitted by the original DCMI definition. To describe the rate of addition of items within a `dcat:Dataset`. use XXX instead. "
- provide XXX to describe the internal spacing of items within a dataset. (also see #84 )

Else

- revert to the DCMI definition, and clarify that this refers to the periodicity of accrual of items within a dataset, and recommend a different way to describe the publication schedule.

@andrea-perego , @kcoyle , @davebrowning  do you have backward compatibility evidence here? How is `dct:accrualPeriodicity` used in practice?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/728#issuecomment-463857405 using your GitHub account