Re: [dxwg] Create generic properties such as "hasExpression" or "documentedIn" instead of hasResource/(hasRole | hasArtifact) (#747)

From: makxdekkers via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 18:31:18 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@aisaac I sort of understand that the choice of RDF properties vs. SKOS roles, or even a flat list like the motivations in OA, is a choice of style with pros and cons on both sides. I do agree that a core set of roles needs to be in the spec to avoid the situation that people will start creating their own sets of roles.
As I see it, in the relation/role style, Dublin Core could have been developed with object properties dct:agent+role and dct:relation+role. That would indeed make extensions for resource-agent relations (beyond creator, contributor and publisher) much easier and could have replaced all the resource-resource relations (replaces, requires, references, hasVersion etc. etc.) with a set of predefined roles.
And I wasn't saying that using a SKOS pattern 'implies' maintaining a SKOS vocabulary -- I was just saying that publishing a set of SKOS concepts might create an expectation that someone maintains that set in the sense of allowing people to request additions of new concepts. But maybe I am reading too much into this.
In any case, let's wait for @kcoyle to set up a vote.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by makxdekkers
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/747#issuecomment-463738511 using your GitHub account