Re: [dxwg] Profiles extend or refine (UC 5.37)

From: Simon Cox via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 06:24:02 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
agree: we are talking about a sub-property of `prov:isDerivedFrom`.
I would still suggest using a name other than "profileOf" however,
But that's probably just my residual discomfort with the idea that there is any real difference between a 'Profile' and a 'Standard with dependencies'.

After a couple of days with @danbri reminding us  to think of the effect of the surface syntax on adoption, I'd recommend new properties in a single namespace, even if they are axiomatically linked in the background to standards like PROV. It is helpful to focus on the instance data, and for that to be clear and uncluttered. This is particularly if we anticipate use of, and maybe a run-time choice of, multiple different technologies to specify it (RDFS, OWL, SHACL, ShEx, JSON-schema).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/216#issuecomment-387964072 using your GitHub account