From: Laufer [mailto:laufer@globo.com]
Sent: 29 June 2015 22:30
To: Makx Dekkers
Cc: Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group
Subject: Re: reviewing the BP doc

Ok, Makx.

I know this DCAT diagram. I am comfortable with this. And in this model, both Datasets and Distributions are not abstract things.
What it is not comfortable to me is to consider that a Dataset is an abstract thing.

Laufer

Laufer,

*  I think we have to be carefull about using the words abstract and instance.

Agree. Let’s not use those words.

*  From the discussions, it seems to me that the Dataset is an abstract thing with instances that are the distributions.

*  This is what I have understood from the posts from Bernadette and from you. And (until now) I do not agree with this.

This is *not* what I have argued. Please look at the diagram and examples in section 4 of DCAT http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/#vocabulary-overview. That section gives an overview of the modelling approach of DCAT. I would agree that there are many other ways you could model this space, but DCAT is just what it is.

Makx.

--