RE: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

Phil,

* URI length
Fine with "... URIs should be no longer that necessary ..." and your examples are cases where having longer URIs is justifiable. But this is a BP and readers should expect specific guidelines. For example:

 - Opaque         http://example.com/1234
 - Mnemonic     http://example.com/2015-08-13
 - Hierachical    http://example.eu/myth/lakes/wine
 - Parametral    http://location.data.gov.uk/so/{theme}/{class}/{inspireNamespaceId}/{inspireLocalId}[/{inspireVersionId}]

Also, there should be guidelines on avoiding unnecessary file extensions:
 - Best variant          http://example.com/1234
 - The PDF variant   http://example.com/1234.pdf

Path segment should be only use to express a hierarchy.

* URL
"HTTP URIs" are URLs: they contain a location. Hence: just use URL and forget URI.

* Paper
If "all of our best practices will be in one document ..." is a dogma, the discussion is closed. One can just expand the appropriate sections in the BP document.

The data identification and data should be specified separately: you are fully aware from before starting the group that my main interest was on data identification; if the consensus is that this is out of scope, fine. But stating that it has been reviewed and discussed many times is over-stretching a few posts that were answered:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dwbp-wg/2014Oct/0051.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dwbp-wg/2014Oct/0054.html
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dwbp-wg/2014Oct/0063.html

I might over-aware that data is a hard field and I focused on the simpler data identification: I shadowed for a while Long-Term Archive and Notary Services (LTANS)
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4810

* Ordnance Survey
One should go for a URL without "doc" or "id".  Widely used services should have a shorter dedicated domains.

  http://data.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/7000000000025490

This is a URL (a URI with a location mechanism) that identifies a resource that might be abstract or physical, whatever that author decides. Resources could have several variants and metadata.

- Data about the place : as an abstract variant or metadata
- Place itself                 : a physical variant

RFC-3986 states:
 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986

 "A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of characters that identifies an *abstract* or *physical* resource."

As long as I am aware, variants of a same resource can be of different natures (abstract or physical).

<half_joke>
My teacher did not expected that the theological studies would be applicable to informatics (it did not existed at the time):
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miaphysite
</half_joke>

COMURI proposes a mechanism for direct metadata request, fully respecting the existing standards:
 http://dragoman.org/comuri.html#uri-metadata

  http://example.com/foo? # "URI metadata request" using the "empty string"
  file:///foo.comuri.html # "metadata file" using a comuri metadata file

Regards
Tomas