Re: Call for comments on open questions about the audience for the DWBP doc

Hello Annette and Makx,

Thanks again for your answers and comments! My comments are inline.

*Q1: What is the real audience for the DWBP document?*

> *Q2: What will be the target audience for the BP? Data publishers or Data
> Publishers and Data Consumers?*
>

> Data publishers. I am with Annette that these two audiences MUST be the
> same.

I am still not convinced that the DWBP document is not interesting for
re-users (already using the terminology presented by Makx) even if the
scope is just BP for data publishers. If re-users will manipulate the data,
don't you think that it will be good if they have some knowledge about the
best practices used to create and publish the data?

> *Q3: Should we talk about data consumers in general or just about
> developers?*
>

> One question that I ask myself is: what do we mean by developer? Do we
> think about a technical developer, of apps or more generally of software,
> or does the term include business people who are involved in designing and
> developing products or services?
>

> To me, we are talking about a person or an organisation that consumes the
> data that is made available to re-use it for some business goal or social
> objective. In other environments, the term “re-user” is often used, to
> distinguish the end-user who just looks at the data from the intermediary
> who takes data from the publisher and delivers it in some value-added form
> to the end user.
>

> Both the technical and the ‘business’ re-user will benefit from best
> practice in data publication. For example, the technical developer benefits
> from re-usable formats, while the business developer benefits from clear
> licensing arrangements .
>

> So I would say that we consider developers in both categories, technical
> and business, and we don’t consider end users. Otherwise we would also need
> to talk about good user interface design, WCAG etc. However, as I said
> before, I don’t think we should try to write best practice for re-users –
> they will benefit from the good practice applied by data publishers.

+ 1
I like the idea of having a different terminology to denote different types
of data consumers, i.e., end users and re-users. I also like the definition
for developers"To me, we are talking about a person or an organisation that
consumes the data that is made available to re-use it for some business
goal or social objective."

*Q4: What is the role of a data consumer? *

> A data consumer is either a re-user or an end user.

+1

Cheers,
Bernadette

> Makx.