RE: Call for comments on open questions about the audience for the DWBP doc

Q1: What is the real audience for the DWBP document?

Q2: What will be the target audience for the BP? Data publishers or Data Publishers and Data Consumers?

Data publishers. I am with Annette that these two audiences MUST be the same.

Q3: Should we talk about data consumers in general or just about developers?

One question that I ask myself is: what do we mean by developer? Do we think about a technical developer, of apps or more generally of software, or does the term include business people who are involved in designing and developing products or services?

To me, we are talking about a person or an organisation that consumes the data that is made available to re-use it for some business goal or social objective. In other environments, the term “re-user” is often used, to distinguish the end-user who just looks at the data from the intermediary who takes data from the publisher and delivers it in some value-added form to the end user.

Both the technical and the ‘business’ re-user will benefit from best practice in data publication. For example, the technical developer benefits from re-usable formats, while the business developer benefits from clear licensing arrangements .

So I would say that we consider developers in both categories, technical and business, and we don’t consider end users. Otherwise we would also need to talk about good user interface design, WCAG etc. However, as I said before, I don’t think we should try to write best practice for re-users – they will benefit from the good practice applied by data publishers.

Q4: What is the role of a data consumer?

A data consumer is either a re-user or an end user.

Makx.