RE: dwbp-ACTION-123: Call for comments

Steven,

I just wanted to make a point related to your comments:

<quote>

Challenges:

3.  Here I think you need to define up front what "Data" published on
the Web is all about.  Many readers may not understand that webpages
themselves are not "data" because unstructured text is stored in a
different kind of repository than "data".  A little history of the Web,
and how "data" in databases came to be published online - as opposed to
behind a firewall in a traditional enterprise application - would be
helpful here as we can't presume our audience understands this.

</quote>

This comes back to a discussion we had in the beginning of this group:
what types of data are we talking about? (see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dwbp-wg/2014Feb/0029.html).

Your statement that webpages are not data seems to exclude things like a
set of interlinked webpages that contain legal texts,  public
procurement specifications, or other collections of snippets of text. I
don't think we should narrow the definition of 'data' in this way.

The problem that I see is that an attempt to define what 'data' is,
implies that we also need to agree on what is 'not-data', and that may
be hard.

Makx.