Re: Taxonomy of legal bases

Thanks Eva, Bud, Rigo, Mark.

For our taxonomy/vocabulary, we have a 'flat' list (no-hierarchy) for
v1, because to create hierarchies we would need further discussion on
how the other legal basis are related.

So I propose we go with the following from Eva's email today -

* A6(1)(a) as the legal basis, and in its description, we mention that
it requires what is referred to as regular consent by A29WP (note - no
split into regular and explicit as it is listed currently in the
spreadsheet)

* A9(2)(a) as the legal basis, and in its description we mention that it
requires what is referred to as explicit consent by GDPR and A29WP

* Add additional legal basis that require explicit consent i.e.
A22(2)(c) and A49(1)(a) to the list as it currently only covers A6 and A9

@Eva do you think this is okay to go ahead with?

- Harsh

On 09/04/2019 10:35, Eva Schlehahn wrote:

> Dear Harsh, dear all,
>
> after wading through all the back and forth emails touching upon this
> topic, I am going back to the roots here. In short: I think Bud is
> right. :)
>
> I discussed at length with Bud in advance and as his preparation for
> the community group meeting. He is right because we have a need to
> capture following structure:
>
>   * Consent - as legal basis with the definition: 'A data subject's
>     unambigious/clear affirmative action that signifies an agreement
>     to process their personal data'
>       o Regular consent -> Legal basis of Art. 6 para 1 (a) GDPR
>       o Explicit consent -> Legal basis of Art 9 para. 2 (a) GDPR
>
> Even though Rigo originally saw the term 'regular' critically, I still
> think it is useful to simply express that there is a difference
> between the consent required by Art. 6 in contrast to Art. 9. So in
> principle, we need some term to highlight this difference. And Bud
> relies on what the former Art. 29 Working Group said since it simply
> makes no sense to make up something else out of thin air.
>
> Btw. 'freely given & informed' are not definitions, they are
> conditions. There is a difference. :) And they probably cannot be
> expressed in a vocabulary since they are always context-dependent and
> subject to interpretation. :)
>
> Harsh, I like your examples given in your email - and I agree insofar
> as the explicit consent required a very clear statement from the data
> subject what they are agreeing to. Please note that this is even a
> step further than the consent just being 'informed' - in a way, this
> informed-ness also needs to be expressed explicitly.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Eva
>
> Am 08.04.2019 um 13:39 schrieb Harshvardhan J. Pandit:
>> tldr; This email is regarding using two separate legal basis for
>> consent as provided by A6(1)(a)
>>
>> Dear Eva, Rigo, and Bud.
>> I'm having trouble understanding the two separate legal basis for
>> consent as provided by A6(1)(a).
>> This discussion was mostly conducted in the F2F, and because this is
>> the first time I have come across this interpretation of two legal
>> basis under A6(1)(a), it would be good to have it in the mailing list
>> so as to have a point of reference in the future.
>>
>> My understanding of the discussion so far:
>> Please do specify (and if possible, correct) any errors made in
>> capturing the gist of the discussion.
>> For consent as the legal basis, Eva and Bud suggested
>> (https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dpvcg/2019Apr/0005.html
>> 1-APR) two types ('regular' and 'explicit') of consent from Article
>> 6(1)(a), with a reference to A29WP guidelines on consent - that also
>> mention these two terms.
>> Rigo (skype call in F2F, 4-APR) suggested to remove the word
>> 'regular' and simply call it consent, and provided the following
>> definition for (previously regular) consent - "A data subject's
> [...]
Harshvardhan Pandit
PhD Researcher
ADAPT Centre
Trinity College Dublin