Re: Lawfulness of processing

Dear all,

I'd like to provide some clarifications and explanations why at first
glance, legitimate interest seems to be the easiest legal ground (this
is what the industry thinks), and why when having a closer look, it
turns out as actually the most tricky one. Be prepared, this might
become a longer read in this email. So just tackle it when you have time
and interest to delve into a deeper understanding of this concept. :-)

Tl;dr at the beginning: Legitimate interest is not what industry thinks. ;-)

Okay, here I go with the details:

 From Art. 6 para (1) f GDPR, it can be seen that the processing of
personal data as an exercise of a controller’s or third party’s interest
is bound to specific preconditions. These preconditions are:

 1. Existent legitimate interest of controller or a third party
 2. Necessity of personal data for this legitimate interest
 3. No overriding interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the
    data subject, especially when the data subject is a child

Here is a bit more in-depth information what this is about:*_
_*

*_1.) Existent legitimate interest of controller or a third party_*

First, it is required that the intended personal data processing is
necessary to exercise a legitimate interests of the controller or a
third party. Since ‘interest’ is a rather vague legal notion, it is to
some extent open to interpretation. The only limitation occurs through
the adjective ‘legitimate’, which may be interpreted as referring to all
kinds of interests that are not unlawful and not inexplicable.

Therefore, any type of interest which is in some way legally protected
in any form can be considered. In this context, it must be noted that
typically, all activities not forbidden by criminal law or any other
prohibition can fall within the scope of some fundamental rights
protection. So it must be assumed that the term ‘legitimate interest’
can include legal, economic, or immaterial interests as well.

Crt provided the link to the ICO website information. I'd like to point
out that the ICO highlights that the reasonable expectation of a data
subjects plays a role with regard to the time and context of the data
collection and processing. At first look, this aspect seems to be
connected to the weighing of interests (step 3 in the list above). So it
could eventually be assumed that the data subject’s expectations are not
so much related to the question whether the controller’s interest is
legitimate but must be paid attention in a later step during the
balancing of interests. However, the ICO has in several cases taken the
expectation of the data subject into account aready at this step.*_
_*

*_2.) Necessity of personal data for this legitimate interest_*

In order to be necessary, the personal data processing must first be
suitable to serve the legitimate interests at all. So in turn, this
means that if the personal information intended for collection and
processing is not suitable to achieve the interest, it must be
considered as not necessary.

Essentially, the evaluation of necessity is related to the principle of
data minimization as laid down in Article 5 para. 1 (c) GDPR, which says:
     ‘/1. Personal data shall be://
//    […]//
//    (c) adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in
relation to the purposes for which they are processed (‘data
minimisation’);/’

According to this principle, the necessity is only given if the
legitimate interest cannot be realized to the same extent with a less
intrusive data collection and processing. This also means that not only
the means of the processing, but also the types of the data are relevant
for this assessment.

In this context, the case law of the European Court of Human Rights
plays a role, since there is a number of judgements where the court has
substantiated this principle further. In the Handyside v. The United
Kingdom case, the ECtHR clarified that the adjective ‘necessary’ is not
to be seen as ‘/[…] synonymous with "indispensable" [...], neither has
it the flexibility of such expressions as "admissible", "ordinary" [...]
"useful" [...], "reasonable" [...] or "desirable"./’ In another
decision, the ECtHR said that based on the considerations of this
earlier ruling, ‘that it implies the existence of a "pressing social need"’.

On the basis of these court rulings, the Article 29 Working Party (that
is the precedessor entity of the now established European Data
Protection Board) has drawn the following conclusions:
     ‘/This is important, as it means that ‘necessity’ should not be
interpreted too broadly, as this would make it easier for fundamental
rights to be circumvented. Nor should it be interpreted too literally,
as this would set         too high a bar and make it unduly difficult
for otherwise legitimate activities which may justifiably interfere with
fundamental rights to take place./’

The scope of the necessity assessment has been and still is subject to
many legal discussions. Regardless of this debate, it must be considered
that each personal data processing, even with legal ground, also must
comply with the general data protection principles of Article 5 para. 1
GDPR. Therefore, it is thinkable that a processing may be justified on
the basis of legitimate interest according to Art. 6 para. 1 (f) GDPR,
yet still violates the data minimization and the purpose limitation
principles.

In any case, controllers are well advised to exercise the considerations
in the context of legitimate interest earnest since they are subject to
the scrutiny of the data protection supervisory authorities and judicial
review.

_*3.) No overriding interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the
data subject, especially when the data subject is a child*_

As next step in the analysis, it would need to be determined whether the
controller’s interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental
rights and freedoms of the data subject concerned. This requires a
weighting of interests, which requires particular care in cases when the
data subject is a child.

The controller is the party who needs to demonstrate compliance with the
provisions of the GDPR, including the justification of the processing,
whereas the supervisory authorities are tasked with the responsibility
to monitor the application of the GDPR. Therefore, the onus of proof
that the processing is justified does not lie within the domain of the
data subject.

The reasonable expectations of the data subjects play a role when
balancing the interests. Recital 47 sentence 4 GDPR states:
     ‘/The interests and fundamental rights of the data subject could in
particular override the interest of the data controller     where
personal data are processed in circumstances where data subjects do not
reasonably expect further processing./’

In this context, the following factors might be decisive:

  * Categories of personal data concerned (e.g. tricky in cases of
    sensitive data concerned)
  * Consequences or impact of the data processing on the data subject
  * The scope of data collection (tricky in cases of extensive profiling)
  * Personal data of children concerned
  * Mitigating factors (like the implementation of efficient and
    encompassing safeguards, i.e. technical + organizational measures)

In any case, the data subject has a right to object to the processing of
his/her personal data at any time according to Article 21 para. 1 GDPR.
The consequence of an objection is that no further processing can occur
and that the data must be deleted (Article 17 para. 1 (c) GDPR), unless
the controller provides compelling legitimate ground which which
override the interests, rights and freedoms of the data subject. The
only other cases of exemption are the establishment, exercise or defence
of legal claims. Additional information obligations toward the data
subject exist (I won't go into more detail here).

Some methodologies to conduct the weighting of interests in the context
of data protection impact assessments exist. Nonetheless, the whole
affair remains a highly tricky and difficult matter even for trained
lawyers.

In any case, the controller needs to document the whole assessment to
demonstrate compliance (Article 5 para. 2 GDPR). Consequences of a
missing documentation might be regarded by e.g. a data protection
supervisory authority as negligence and compliance failure.

Phew, that's it. Oof. Kudos to everyone who read until this point! :-D

I apologize for making this explanation so long, but I wanted to make a
point why the industry is misled when they think legitimate interest
could be a big-scoped and easy legal basis for their business interests.
In fact, I think those companies who ground their processing on this,
might get a rather rude awakening by authorities and courts at some
point. And then they have a problem.

For our DPVCG, I think it does not make sense to try to capture
sub-terms associated to legitimate interest.

As you can see from my explanations above, most of it is subject to
interpretation, a lot of 'what if's', case-by-case assessments, and
possibly court decisions somewhen in the future.

I'd suggest just adding 'legitimate interest' as term to the taxonomy to
the collection of legal grounds. The controller company then has to take
its own additional organisational measures to document why they think
this is a valid legal ground for them.

Greetings,

Eva