Re: Proposal for a domain

Ioannis,

Thanks for interest in dicussion regarding the naming of this domain
(emergency or disaster or resilience or what)

Using appropriate terminology is not trivial, and central to semantic
architectures (hope we dont have to argue this point)

The core of the discussions that have taken place to date on various
lists/groups is roughtly as follows

- words have connotations, implications, repercussions, implicit meaning
that carry semantic weight - it is worth trying to get the words right

- emergencies properly manged do not escalate,
         crises are emergencies  gone out of hand,
                    disasters are crises that have gone out of hand,

disaster prevention and mitigation is the primary function of the systems we
should aim to build, right

{my personal opinion: disaster management is a money making machine - profit
making companies involved in disaster mangement have as their built in goal
to exploit the disaster to maximise their financial gains, a goal in direct
conflict with humaniarian operations whose goals is to prevent disasters,
even if this means that   some people  wont be able to make their next
buck)}

Let me see if I can sketch an initial  conceptual schema for this discussion
Thanks for diggin up any related conversations for us to consider
cheers
PDM

Below a snippet from the most recent conversaion with Rex Brooks, from Oasis
TC

../

I prefer Emergency Response Management, but that tends to lead to another
Three Letter Acronym (TLA), so I stay with Emergency Management for a short
term, though my concerns cover preparation, first response, logistics and
mitigation (which can include extended recovery, too).

Cheers,
Rex

 Rex Brooks
President, CEO