RE: Collecting ideas from the broader community

Thanks for opening the discussion, Dave

I have been considering this also. We have a few issues to address:

*         Communication DPUB's ideas to the larger communities

*         Providing methods for non-members or members-to-be to communicate to DPUB (and other W3C) groups

*         Allowing for discussions in different time zones and regions

I like the idea of offering something on discourse, but that is yet another channel to follow or lose. I suspect that most people are unaware of these tools, but we have no control over that.  Some of us are the de facto point people for DPUB, and we can help by pointing people to the right tools. It is worth reminding people that anyone can email this list and follow the discussion. Membership is not necessary to participate in the email list, but sometimes the emails will seem out of context.

There are similar issues with setting up another email list.

If the proposed membership exchange between IDPF and W3C [1] goes through, there will be multiple groups functioning within the W3C Publishing Activity. We will have to find a good way to establish communications across the different groups. I think it's in our best interest to solicit suggestions now.

I have also mentioned to Garth and Ivan that it might be a good idea to set up a monthly call at an Asia/Australia- friendly time. For those of you that would be affected, please comment on whether you think this would be helpful.

[1] http://idpf.org/news/idpf-begins-member-vote-to-approve-combination-with-w3c

Tzviya Siegman
Information Standards Lead
Wiley