Re: [discovery-api] Consolidated comments and questions

Hi, please see comments below.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 23:36:15 +0900
Rich Tibbett <richt@opera.com> wrote:

> Cathy.Chan@nokia.com wrote:

> > 5. Allow cross-domain access to additional UPnP device resources in
> > addition
> > to control URL? From Naoyuki Sato [11], [13]:
> > The access white-list should be expanded to include additional UPnP
> > resources
> > such as device description page, service description page, which
> > allows the
> > web app to examine the actions and other details supported by a
> > service, and
> > device icons, which allow the web app to show the device icon to
> > improve user
> > experience.
>
> That could be a good addition. We could add .icon to the NetworkService
> interface for example.
>
> However, that would be a UPnP specific attribute. There is no easily
> addressable icon equivalent in mDNS AFAIK. If it only works half the
> time it's probably not worth adding.

I'd like to allow more access than icon.

Likewise mDNS case, NSD should provide only SSDP functionality.
SSDP is a way to find device description. Why not just provide
the device description to Web app? (What's the difference with
the mDNS case?)

Regarding cross-domain access, I have a concern on prohibiting
access other than that to the port used in the controlUrl.
IMO, one of the big goal of NSD is to intract with existing UPnP
products without modifying them. These products do use
various communication addition to SOAP. For example,
DLNA uses HTTP Streaming and it doesn't mandate the
tcp port for streaming must be the same as that for SOAP.

Under user permission, any access should be allowed to the
permitted device in the local network, I think.

Thanks,
Kikkawa

> > [11]
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Nov/0101.html