RE: [discovery-api] Consolidated comments and questions

+1. The icon is just an example of what info in the device description might
be useful to the web app. Another useful one is the service description file
(SCPDURL). There is no need to create individual attributes for each of those
items. However, such URLs listed in the device description file should be
whitelisted for the web app to access.

> Regarding cross-domain access, I have a concern on prohibiting access other
> than that to the port used in the controlUrl.
> IMO, one of the big goal of NSD is to intract with existing UPnP products
> without modifying them. These products do use various communication
> addition to SOAP. For example, DLNA uses HTTP Streaming and it doesn't
> mandate the tcp port for streaming must be the same as that for SOAP.

To make matters worse, a DLNA media server can also list content that is
hosted on third-party content providers, in which case it would be impossible
to grant cross-domain access. I don't think this is a problem that NSD would
be able to solve (nor is it its job to solve).

> Under user permission, any access should be allowed to the permitted
> device in the local network, I think.

The problem here is that this would open up the device way more than
necessary/expected by the user. This *might* be fine for a standalone UPnP
device, but absolutely not for e.g. a software media server running on a PC.
Granting the web app access to the software media server MUST NOT open it up
to telnet or ftp  or any other access to the same PC!

- Cathy.