Re: Moving Ambient Light Tests, Re: Agenda - Distributed Meeting 15 August 2012

On Aug 15, 2012, at 00:57 , Tobie Langel wrote:
> I think the best option would be to have projects hosted under the
> umbrella of the W3C (github) organization, so they would all sit at
> github.com/w3c. W3C staff would be able to create Github teams with R+W
> access to specific repos. Repos would all be public so everyone would have
> read access.

Yup. Note that you need not wait for W3C to approve your repo — you can start your own and it can be forked there.

> How repos are organized and/or name is probably best left to individual
> groups to figure out, though I think matching w3.org/TR/ could prove
> invaluable.

Yes, I would suggest ${shortname}-tests or something of the sort.

>> Another question: would the existing Web Apps test suite creation process
>> [1] work for a general community in the wild, or is it too process heavy?
>> How do you invasion test contributions will work (i.e., shared
>> project/contributors, integration control into main test branch,
>> code/test quality control/guidelines, etc.)?
>
> I don't think much of it would need to change. Inclusion of new test case
> in the test suite could be done through pull requests, burdening the
> puller (a member of the team with r+w access to the repo) to verify that
> the requester has signed the CLA. In practice a high number of
> contributions come from a small number of contributors, which considerably
> lightens this burden. Node.js, which is the second most followed
> repository on github[1], and the seventh most forked one[2], handles this
> process manually; I've yet to hear complains about it.

The CLA part is important and does indeed need to be changed. But the WebApps testing process is IMHO too heavy, and leads to bad directory structures. I think we should drop the submitted/approved structure and move to commit-then-review, with branches. I would recommend git flow for this. People propose tests to feature/*. The branch that most people are interested in is development. Whenever we need to snapshot things, to put a seal of approval from the group on the suite, to make an official release with results, or whatever, we merge to master and tag it.

I'd be happy to write this up.