RE: Contacts API typical use cases and privacy considerations

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 16:04, Dominique Hazael-Massieux (dom@w3.org) wrote:

> Le vendredi 19 février 2010 à 16:33 +0100,
> richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com a écrit :
> > We have a proposal to implement an <input type="file">
> extension for
> > Contacts [1] and I think we should move forward with this.
> There was
> > little objection to the principal in that thread, only how
> it should
> > actually be done technically. If you have objections please
> do reply
> > to that thread. There is also a <device> placeholder in the
> HTML5 spec
> > [2] and I think either tag could be suitable for the use
> cases you are
> > suggesting.
>
> I would distinguish the question on whether this needs to be
> markup-based from the underlying browser-as-broker model.
>
> (in other words, I think the objections that were raised were
> around the proposed markup solution, but as you say, I don't
> think anybody brought up objections to the brokering role of
> the browser in that context)
>
> I actually think relying on a markup model for this case is
> likely to create more difficulties than it solves in the
> short term (in particular due to the need for a good
> fall-back model), and so I'm thinking that providing an API
> entry point that would more or less replicate what we expect
> from an <input type="contact"/> might be a better approach.

Is your proposal that a Contacts.find() entry point should throw up a 'contacts picker' to the user? i.e. when the API is called the user is presented with a 'contacts picker', proceeds to select the contacts to work with and the browser provides the user-selected Contact objects back to the webapp?

This could actually work...

...and Security mechanism would occur before that contacts picker was presented, thereby making it compatible with any security and policy enforcement that may occur.

The API would need a full rework but this is interesting.

Rich

> > [1]
> >
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Dec/0005.ht
> > ml
> > [2]
> >
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2009Dec/0217.ht
> > ml

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.