RE: Contacts API typical use cases and privacy considerations

Le vendredi 19 février 2010 à 16:33 +0100,
richard.tibbett@orange-ftgroup.com a écrit :
> We have a proposal to implement an <input type="file"> extension for
> Contacts [1] and I think we should move forward with this. There was
> little objection to the principal in that thread, only how it should
> actually be done technically. If you have objections please do reply to
> that thread. There is also a <device> placeholder in the HTML5 spec [2]
> and I think either tag could be suitable for the use cases you are
> suggesting.

I would distinguish the question on whether this needs to be
markup-based from the underlying browser-as-broker model.

(in other words, I think the objections that were raised were around the
proposed markup solution, but as you say, I don't think anybody brought
up objections to the brokering role of the browser in that context)

I actually think relying on a markup model for this case is likely to
create more difficulties than it solves in the short term (in particular
due to the need for a good fall-back model), and so I'm thinking that
providing an API entry point that would more or less replicate what we
expect from an <input type="contact"/> might be a better approach.

> Oh, and a final point is that this is only intended to cover the
> Contacts API initially. Other APIs should probably be assessed on a
> case-by-case basis...

Agreed, indeed.

Dom