Re: Overlap between WebApps and Device APIs WG on file operations

On Sat, 16 May 2009 01:09:51 +0200, Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
>> Le jeudi 14 mai 2009 à 00:07 +0200, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>>
>>> I'm pretty sure that the two groups can work together on this. We
>>> probably don't even need a TF for it. As far as the charter is
>>> concerned I'd put something along the lines of "collaborating to make
>>> sure the file-related APIs are synchronised" — I think it ought to be
>>> enough.
>>>

>> The charter now has "FileSystem API [...] this API should be developed
>> in coordination with the Web Applications Working Group File Upload
>> specification".

Which seems right to me.

> I'm going to continue to edit the specification as part of WebApps.
> Assuming the BONDI specification is informed by the Opera proposal, and
> that the BONDI specification will somehow make its way into W3C, I've
> read through:
>
> http://bondi.omtp.org/IDLS/filesystem.html and
>
> http://bondi.omtp.org/apis-current/classorg_1_1omtp_1_1bondi_1_1filesystem_1_1_file.html
>
> I think some overlap is likely to occur.  The latter defines a "File"
> class, for instance, and seems to include some synchronous I/O behaviors.
>
> Currently, I'm uncertain as to how I can inform myself by proposals by
> OMTP, but hope to produce a draft that may serve to make these
> discussions clearer.

If these specs are developed in a public W3C process, the problem of
knowing what is happening to them will go away, right?

cheers

Chaals