Re: <input type=photo> etc as Capture API

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:59:12 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 12:33 , Arve Bersvendsen wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:26:09 +0100, Robin Berjon <robin@robineko.com>
>> wrote:
>>> The code is simple enough, and typical enough, but my concern is
>>> whether this approach can scale to controlling the video. So in the
>>> above I've embedded the captured video in the page, but this assumes
>>> that it's already been recorded. How do I grow that into something
>>> that could stream it (streaming is hard enough already, I'm not sure
>>> how it marries to the form metaphor)? How do I grow that into
>>> something using which I could control the capture from within the
>>> document?
>>
>> If the intent is actually grabbing the video stream, and embedding it
>> in content, here is my proposal:
>>
>> <object src="protocol:identifier/for/some/camera/">
>>  <param name="aperture-value" value="1.4" />
>>  <param name="shutter-speed" value="1/30" />
>> </object>
>>
>> Implement File and FileReader on the <object> interface.
>>
>> <object> (Or even <video>) could implement an interface for setting
>> properties on the device
>
> Just as a reality check, do you really think that a solution involving
> both <object> and a new URI scheme is simpler and more elegant than one
> relying on APIs and <video>? Say contrasted to the API in
> http://www.w3.org/mid/AB072C1D-8194-45A8-968E-5E44D3B8F96E@robineko.com
> for instance?

So we're clear here : I'm agnostic with regards to the element used, and
I'm also being agnostic with regards to the protocol -- aren't there
already protocols we can reuse?

Also, in looking at your proposal: An API to determine the location of,
configure, and start/stop capturing of live data for inclusion into, for
instance a video element is probably needed anyway

Some questions:

Are there modern enviroments that do not allow viewfinder streaming?
Android 2.0 certainly seems to be able to, desktop applications can.   If
memory serves me right, I could even do this in J2ME on a Series 40 phone
with Opera Mini 2 (or 3).

If enviroments that do not support live viewfinder data exist, are you
planning on falling back gracefully?  Is there a means to do proper
progressive enhancement?

--
Arve Bersvendsen