From:   Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date:   05/16/2016 08:11 AM
Subject:        Transitive?

Our recent editorial experiments were to use the terms SHACL instance,
SHACL type and SHACL subclass. I don't find this very attractive to read
and it gives room to misinterpretation too, e.g. people could read it as
if we were using different properties than rdf:type or rdfs:subClassOf.

Looking at the RDFS spec [1], we can read

     "The rdfs:subClassOf property is transitive".

This is exactly the relevant bit of "inferencing" that we are using in
SHACL too.

So why can't we switch to the terms

- transitive subclass
- transitive type
- transitive instance

which should be relatively unambiguous esp given that each usage of
these terms is now hyperlinked to the terminology section. Furthermore
transitivity even carries a fairly appropriate meaning:

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitive_relation

Regards,
Holger

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_subclassof