Re: Question about directValueType

On 9/25/2015 7:02, Solbrig, Harold R. wrote:
> Holger,
>
> Is the second sentence under sh:directValueType,  "The values of
> |sh:directValueType| must be classes (instances of |rdfs:Class|)."
> intended to be advice to people writing SHACL schemas or is it
> intended to impose a requirement on the SHACL engine itself (e.g.  The
> engine MUST raise an error if the target of sh:directValueType cannot
> be confirmed to be an instance of rdfs:Class or something similar)?
> If it is the latter, is it the data graph, the shapes graph or both
> that are used to make this determination?

I believe such checking should be left to schema-level constraint
checking, i.e. validation of the shapes graph itself. With the current
Turtle file, the sh:valueClass of sh:directValueType is rdfs:Class and
the system would flag such errors if the user has requested this kind of
validation. However, at run-time such tests should not happen because it
would be extra overhead and furthermore the class may only be defined as
an rdfs:Class in the shapes graph. I am not sure if this distinction
needs to be made clearer in the spec.