Re: shapes-ISSUE-50 (presentation requirements): Presentations to the working group

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote on 05/22/2015
03:32:29 AM:

> From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
> Date: 05/22/2015 03:32 AM
> Subject: Re: shapes-ISSUE-50 (presentation requirements):
> Presentations to the working group

> I don't believe that I have anywhere indicated that anyone in the
working
> group is not coming with good intentions.  I don't believe that I have
> anywhere indicated that anyone in the working has intentionally delayed
or
> would intentionally delay sharing any presentation material.  The
intentions
> of members of the working group did in no way have any bearing on my
putting
> forward this issue.
>
> I am saddened that you felt that you had to bring up matters of bad
faith
> into this conversation.  I believe that it was an inappropriate thing to
do.

And I'm saddened that you feel that the only way to ensure action was to
raise a formal issue. I read this as a lack of faith in the WG.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies -
IBM Software Group

> peter
>

> On 05/21/2015 08:19 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> >> Just sending out an email could have resulted in no action at all.
> >
> > Come on, Peter. This is like if you started by yelling and when asked
> > why you're yelling you then said "just talking could have resulted in
not
> > being heard". I have no reason to believe anyone would intentionally
> > delay sharing any material they want to present to the WG, do you?
> >
> > Again I agree with you that it is best to share material earlier and
I'm
> > happy to support the point you're making but I'd like to believe that
> > everyone is coming with good intentions and I have no reason to
believe
> > that anyone would disagree with that. I will also take the blame for
not
> > having come up with the idea of having the deep-dives at this meeting
> > earlier if you'd like but I do think creating a formal issue for this
is
> > totally unnecessary. Its processing will only lead to more waste of
the
> > WG's precious time you're trying to save. -- Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior
> > Technical Staff Member, Open Web Technologies - IBM Software Group
> >

> > "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote on
05/21/2015
> > 04:11:48 PM:
> >
> >> From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> To: Arnaud
Le
> >> Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS Cc: public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org Date:
> >> 05/21/2015 04:12 PM Subject: Re: shapes-ISSUE-50 (presentation
> >> requirements): Presentations to the working group
> >>
> > Arnaud:
> >
> > I do not think that creating an issue for this issue is heavy-weight
at
> > all. Just sending out an email could have resulted in no action at
all.

> > I got less out of the VF2F than I would have if all the presentations
> > had been available beforehand.  I feel that future WG meetings would
go
> > better if presentation materials could be looked over by WG members
> > before the actual presentation.
> >
> > There is a trade-off between getting the best possible presentations
and
> > requiring the presentations to be available earlier.  However, WG
> > meeting time is a very valuable resource and I think that it would be
> > better used if WG members could do more preparation.
> >
> > peter
> >

> > On 05/21/2015 03:18 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >
> >> I agree with you that it is preferable to have meeting material be
> >> shared prior to the meetings but I don't think it's reasonable to
make
> >> this an absolute requirement.
> >
> >> While I didn't expect Jose to have put together a presentation and I
> >> grant you that it wasn't easy to get all the details in such a quick
> >> run through I still think we were better off with the slides than
> >> without and I don't think it was a waste of time. I'm thankful to
Jose
> >> for having taken the time to put these together to try and help us
move
> >> forward on the test suite.
> >
> >> As for the rest, I agree with you but would point out that the link
> >> Jose's slides is in the log and will therefore be in the minutes.
That