Re: My proposal to move us forward

On 5/21/2015 0:21, Iovka Boneva wrote:
> Sorry I didn't have the opportunity to react earlier.
>
> Sorry I cannot participate to the discussion, still let me share some thoughts.
>
> If the features currently present in the ShEx syntax are to be added to Holger's
> proposal, how can one hope that their semantics would be simpler than the current
> ShEx semantics ? I have serious doubts that the same complex concepts would appear
> significantly simpler if defined in SPARQL, or in any other formalism.
>
> Incrementally adding new features to the semantics of the language: that's
> what I've been doing for the last month.
>
> This proposition sounds to me like: let's take the time to re-define the
> semantics from scratch, instead of taking the time to understand what is already
> there, and adapt it if needed.

Hi Iovka,

if you meant to say that "what is already there" is your draft, then I
guess we could reverse the argument. The semantics are already specified
in SPARQL, so why should we start from scratch with abstract syntax and
semantics? The additional bonus here is that the SPARQL-based spec is
not just a piece of paper but can also be used at runtime, with a
generic engine driven by RDF files. In my design, syntax and semantics
of SHACL are formalized in a single Turtle file. The HTML document
merely provides a human-readable version of it and adds missing details
for implementers.

This may not be the preferred way that you would personally like to see
it specified in. I can only speculate that you may find your own
approach cleaner from an academic point of view, and I know you have all
spent a lot of time on this topic and I would feel frustrated in such a
situation too. But the group decided to "use SPARQL as much as
possible", and Arnaud's proposal reflects this resolution.

I am confident there are plenty of other ways for you to get your work
published and it may be helpful for cross-checking the SPARQL-based spec
in the future. It may also be useful to implement matching and graph
coverage algorithms, but the focus of this WG is constraint checking.

Thanks,
Holger