Re: Please run the lint script

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Geoffrey Sneddon <me@gsnedders.com> wrote:
>> Can I draw people's attention to the lint script, documented at
>> <http://web-platform-tests.org/writing-tests/lint-tool.html>?
>>
>> Those of you committing/pushing to Mercurial, can you please ensure
>> you don't add any failing lints as it necessitates someone fixing them
>> before others contributing through GitHub can have *anything* landed?
>
> A nit: I was running the lint a while ago, and for the life of me
> *could not* figure out how to get it to lint only my test file.  Docs
> and diving into sources didn't prove illuminating; I don't recall what
> options I tried, but none of them worked. So right now, running the
> linter means waiting for >1 minute while it lints *the entire
> repository* for you.
>
> Can this be fixed, hopefully by making it default to linting the
> current working directory only?  If that's too much of a change, at
> least a working and clearly documented option to limit it to a
> particular directory would be helpful.

./lint [FILES...] should work fine. What we don't have is anyway to
recursively lint a directory; I've filed
<https://github.com/w3c/wpt-tools/issues/184> for that.

One thing that is vaguely planned is making the lint tool far, far
quicker in the typical case (notably, it should cache its results so
editing one file doesn't make it take minutes). That's something I
expect to work on post-merge.

/g