Re: [CSS21][CSS22] Seeking review of position:fixed edge case test

Le 2015-09-13 00:30, Chris Rebert a écrit :
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Gérard Talbot
> <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>> Le 2015-08-17 15:08, Chris Rebert a écrit :

>>> <snip>
> <snip>

>>> The position:fixed makes doing this somewhat tricky.
>>> If you have a specific suggestion for how to achieve this, I'm fine
>>> with changing the test, but I myself don't have any ideas.
>>
>> The modified test I created made that possible.
>
> Revised.

> <snip>
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar enough with `direction`/RTL to write those variants,
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/right-offset-position-fixed-001.xht
>>
>> iPhone 6, Safari 7+ fail this additional test.
>> The text assert and a few other things in that
>> right-offset-position-fixed-001 would need to be adjusted, tweaked.
>
> Added the RTL and position:absolute tests you suggested.
>
> Everything look good now?:
> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-test/pull/813/files
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris,

Sorry for the long delay.

I also had all kinds of difficulties with your tests, GitHub, filenames,
browsers, etc.

As strange as it may seem, it's possible to save a file under a filename
that has a white blank space (U+0020) appended at the end of the file
extension: this is news to me! In such case, Firefox 40.0.3 will load
such file but Chrome 45.0.2454.93 will not and will only say that the
file is not found "ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND" but that's because the address
bar, it seems, trims out blank spaces. I think the text editor I used is
the software with a bug: it should trim out the blank space at the end.

1-
With GitHub, I have to find the files, then I have to copy and paste the
code into a text editor, then remove the "+" [addendum: I just noticed
the View button for viewing the whole file without "+"], then save the
code under suitable filename(s) and then load the tests in browsers for
examination. There seems no other way to review tests with GitHub.

2-
The main difference between absolute positioning and fixed positioning
is what's a box's containing block. Section 10.1 states:

"
If the element has 'position: fixed', the containing block is
established by the viewport (...)

If the element has 'position: absolute', the containing block is
established by the nearest ancestor with a 'position' of 'absolute',
'relative' or 'fixed', (...).
"
10.1 Definition of "containing block"
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#containing-block-details

About abs. positioning, we often use expressions like nearest (or
closest) positioned container block within containment hierarchy or
nearest (or closest) positioned ancestor.

So, your text asserts need to reflect such absolute-versus-fixed
difference and they are not.

- - - - - - - -

The 'left: auto' and 'right: auto' is given by (or, if you prefer, is
established by) the so-called "static-position containing block". Often,
this is the immediate (nearest, closest) parent of such box. In your
tests, the "static-position containing block" of your div#red is your
div#shifted-column .

- - - - - - - -

Your href="http://chrisrebert.com" leads to 404 not found ... but that's
a minor thing.

- - - - - - - -

Chris, for many reasons, I propose you just submit your position-fixed
tests (along with the reference files) and leave out, drop the abs-pos
tests. I approve your
left-offset-position-fixed-001.xht
and
right-offset-position-fixed-001.xht
along with their respective reference files. Please add the date like
this:

     <link rel="reviewer" title="Gérard Talbot"
href="http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/" /> <!--
2015-09-17 -->

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines