Re: Proposal to refactor the CSS test repo

On 4/23/14, 8:34 PM, "Peter Linss" <peter.linss@hp.com> wrote:

>On Apr 23, 2014, at 5:23 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 2014-04-23 16:57 +0000, Rebecca Hauck wrote:
>>> The proposed new structure:
>>>
>>> tests/[spec-shortname, spec-shortname...]
>>> test-plans/[spec-shortname, spec-shortname...]
>>> tools
>>
>> One issue with this is how to deal with tests where the master copy
>> isn't in the CSSWG repository.
>>
>> I've had a decent amount of success with getting developers who are
>> writing Mozilla patches with tests for new Web platform features,
>> where the tests ought to go in the CSSWG repository, to put those
>> tests in a specific directory in the Mozilla repository, so that I
>> can then occasionally import this directory to the CSSWG repository
>> (in contributors/mozilla/submitted/mozilla-central-reftests).
>>
>> This has worked reasonably well as an approach for getting tests
>> written during Mozilla patch development into the CSSWG repository,
>> and it has low enough overhead that tests actually end up in the
>> CSSWG repository.  (This is despite substantial amounts of spec
>> churn that require substantial changes to many of these tests.)
>>
>> I'm not sure how to continue such an import procedure in this
>> proposed new structure, in such a way that it would be low enough
>> overhead to actually work.
>
>I certainly don't want to introduce a change that's going to result in
>less tests getting into the repo (or staying in sync).
>
>Is the pain on your end that you'd need for the Mozilla tests to stay
>under a common directory or that the Mozilla repository would have to be
>refactored so that it could be mapped to the csswg repo?

David, this is a good point and I wasnıt aware thatıs how Mozilla was
upstreaming. I agree, we definitely want to keep this avenue open and easy
for future batch contributions from vendors.  How about this modified
proposal (which will also address Tobieıs test-plan subdir suggestion):

repo-root/
	spec-shortname/
	spec-shortname/
	spec-shortname/
	vendor-import/    (Iım open to suggestions on the name)
		mozilla/
	tools/

So contributors/mozilla/submitted/mozilla-central-reftests/ moves to
vendor-import/mozilla and remains intact with no changes required to
sync-tests.sh.

If Peter has no objections to using symlinks for tests that link to
multiple specs, maybe we can use them here as well so each spec-shortname
dir can include symlinks to the vendor-import tests.  Again, if something
is removed from the mozilla repo, we can have a script that periodically
cleans up dangling symlinks.

Would this work?