Re: Writing-modes, text-orientation, etc. review; creating customized "DejaVu Serif" and "mplus-1p-regular" fonts for writing-modes and text-orientation tests

Le Mer 20 mars 2013 14:46, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Kazuaki, Taka, Hajime
>
> Please note that I will not be able to review your tests for a few days
> for work reasons. I must also catch up on a long list of things, matters
> that I have delayed over time, during weeks. So it may take me a week or
> 10 days before I reply to you.
>
> I have read all of your emails.
>
> I now think the best way to deal with the font issue is to create a
> customized "DejaVu Serif" font variant (especially for writing-mode and
> text-orientation tests). Basically that means to use "DejaVu Serif"
> font, to modify it to use only 128 characters and to modify the "1234"
> and "5678" characters (by replacing them with respectively "FAIL" and
> "PASS") so that it can be verified that such custom "DejaVu Serif" font
> is actually being used in tests.
>
> Example given:
> CSSTest FamilyName font ( csstest-familyname.ttf )
> which you can download at/from
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/CSSTest/
> and it is being used in several font tests in CSS 2.1 test suite.
> CSSTest Fallback font ( csstest-fallback.ttf )
> is another one: "1234" and "5678" characters have been replaced with
> respectively "PASS" and "FAIL".
>
> I also think we could also modify and create a customized
> mplus-1p-regular.ttf font variant
> to use only the 100 (or so) characters which may be needed for Japanese
> glyphs and also modify "1234" and "5678" characters so that they get
> replaced by "FAIL" and "PASS" respectively. This is also what John
> Daggett has been saying a few weeks ago.

Hmmm.. to be precise, John Daggett did not say this... but he wondered
about the codepoints used in Taka's tests. This got mixed up in my
mind..

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2013Feb/0037.html

but I suspect John Daggett would be for such customization of the fonts
I mentioned instead of relying on .woff or webfonts or download of
fonts.

+CC: John Daggett

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: