Testing CSS tokenization

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:40:02 +0100
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Hi,

So, Iíve been implementing the new CSS Syntax draft:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-syntax/
https://github.com/SimonSapin/tinycss2

And of course, Iím writing tests. This time around, Iím writing them in
JSON in the hope to share them in multiple implementations. (Iím working
on at least two of them myself.)

https://github.com/SimonSapin/tinycss2/tree/master/tinycss2/tests
(This is very much "in progress", but I hope you get the idea.)

In order to test tokenization, I really want to look at the output of
the tokenizer. (Actually the output of "Parse a list of component
values", which is close enough.) Unfortunately, the tokenizer is not
exposed on the web. I can not take these tests and run them in any
browsers; this would require writing custom code against the browserís
source code. I understand this is not acceptable for a W3C specís test
suite, but anything else has to be much higher level and I donít find it
very satisfying.

For example, many corner cases of the tokenizer are not tested AFAICT by
the 2.1:

http://hg.csswg.org/test/file/63d1b51beff2/approved/css2.1/src/syntax

What do you think? What is the way to test a spec such as CSS Syntax
whose product is not directly exposed to the web platform?

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin