Re: [CSS2] first-line-selector-011.htm

Le Mer 5 juin 2013 2:50, Masataka Yakura a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Looking at first-line-selector-011 I get confused.
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/latest//first-line-selector-011.htm<http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/latest/html4/first-line-selector-011.htm>

[RC6]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/first-line-selector-011.htm

[nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/first-line-selector-011.htm

On the same topic, there is also

[RC6]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/first-line-selector-016.htm

[nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/first-line-selector-016.htm

> The spec says "The first line of an inline-block cannot be the first
> formatted line of an ancestor element", so the first "Test" in the
> element cannot be the first formatted line because it has `display:
> inline-
> block` set. Hence, div:first-line { color: green } does not apply to the
>
> However, the test says it "passes if there is no red visible on the
> page."
> That's wrong, isn't it? It should either say "there is no green
> visible",
> or switch the colors in the stylesheet.
>
> Why I'm confused is that both Gecko and Presto "passes" the test. They
> show
> green. Which one is wrong; those two engines, or the spec?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Masataka Yakura

I'll try to explain.

"inline-block
    This value causes an element to generate an inline-level block
container. The inside of an inline-block is formatted as a block
box, and the element itself is formatted as an atomic inline-level
box."
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#display-prop

The inline-block itself (as a whole) participates in the inline
formatting context. But its content, its inside creates a block
formatting context, its inside contains block elements.

I strongly believe that the current first-line-selector-011.htm test is
not best coded to verify the purpose of the test. I believe

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/first-line-selector-011-GT.html

is better. We've discussed before the sort of minimal code for
inline-blocks (realistically designed) and it should be something like:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/inline-block-minimal-code-2.html

I also checked

[RC6]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/first-line-selector-013.htm

[nightly-unstable]
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/first-line-selector-013.htm

and this time the test seems incorrect; I think such test can not fail.

I will propose

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/first-line-selector-013-GT.html

as a replacement. Firefox 21 and Opera 12.15 fails this test while they
both pass
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/first-line-selector-013.htm

I also note that inline-table versus applicability of first-line
selector has not been tested.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: