[css3-multicol] Review of multicol-count-computed-003 and questions

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:23:05 -0400
To: "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>
Hello,

[src]
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-count-computed-003.xht

[reftest]
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-count-computed-3-ref.xht

The reftest seems to suggest that the used column-count value is going
to be 2 and not 3. I do not understand how this can be.

Håkon, can you explain the why it seems that the rendered layout should
be using 2 column boxes and not 3.

If the declared available-width is 13em, if the declared column-count is
3 and if the declared column-gap is 5em, then I would expect to get 3
column boxes of 1em each and then see the overflow rules for inside
(§8.1) and outside multi-column (§8.2) apply.

----------

When converting this test (to use 1.25em as font-size) and when
calculating and predicting its rendered layout, I come up with the
following:

[test]
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-count-computed-003-GT.xht

[reftest]
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-count-computed-003-GT-ref.xht

Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:
http://test.csswg.org/harness/

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: